Keep your property safe and reduce incidents with property loss prevention.
Whether you’re a homeowner or a property owner, there are certain precautions that you must take to protect the building. From locking the doors at night to buying the right insurance, there are many property loss prevention tips. Reduce the number of incidents that your home faces by safeguarding it from the top three destructive dangers.
- Maintain the washing machine, fridge, water heater, air conditioner, and major appliances. Inspect them annually to check there are no kinks, cracks, or damage to the drain lines or water hoses.
- When leaving the property for an extended period, turn off the main water valve completely and drain all the pipes to prevent freezing. Alternatively, leave the dwelling heated to at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Leave indoor and outdoor pipes dripping to prevent them from freezing or bursting in the winter.
- Check around sinks and toilets for leaks that worsen over time. These issues can lead to costly damages, including mold repair and rotten flooring.
- Maintain all cooking appliances and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Avoid overloading the electrical outlets and extension cords.
- Do not block a baseboard heater.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Hire a professional to clean your chimney annually. Check for cracks in the structure and creosote build-up. Also, ensure that the metal cap on top of the chimney is in good condition.
- Make sure to close the garage door at night and lock your car. Thieves will steal a garage door opener for easy access into the home.
- Prune dead and damaged trees that potentially put your property in danger.
With the right home insurance policy, your property is protected and your insurance is there for when you need it the most. Contact the team at Nahai Insurance Services to get started on your tailored home insurance policy.