Stay stable on shaky ground with tips to prepare your home for an earthquake.
Earthquakes continue to threaten the United States, and California is no stranger to a few shakes. While technology has advanced tremendously, the tectonic plates are known to shift at any time, resulting in earthquakes from minor to catastrophic damages. If you don’t know already, there are certain tasks that you can do to prepare your home for an earthquake.
Anyone who has experienced a shake before knows that the devastation can vary and the impact is unpredictable. The fright is quite real, though. Use these tips to protect your home today.
- Secure freestanding objects, e.g., bookcases and grandfather clocks to the wall.
- Fix ceiling lights to the building structure.
- Fit all gas appliances with breakaway shut-off devices.
- Brace unreinforced chimneys, masonry, concrete walls, and foundations.
- Review your earthquake insurance as well as your homeowners insurance to ensure that you are aware of and satisfied with the coverage.
- If you are indoors, stay inside the home and move away from windows, skylights, and doors.
- Find cover, for example under a sturdy table, and stay there until the shaking stops.
- Do not try to move through the rooms. Stay in one place until the trembling has stopped.
- Brace yourself, linking your fingers behind your head.
- If you are outdoors, move away from electrical lines, trees, and buildings.
- Drop to the ground and wait for the shaking to stop.
- When driving, slow your vehicle and move to the side of the road.
An earthquake can wreak havoc on your home and finances. Because of this, valid insurance is imperative and appreciated. Many home insurance policies don’t provide protection for earthquakes, so a separate policy must be obtained. Visit the professionals at Nahai Insurance to get set up with the needed earthquake insurance for your home!