What you need to know about diabetes during American Diabetes Month.
Each November, the United States takes an active role in educating the public about diabetes. From prevention to management, communities come together to raise awareness about the condition. Noted as American Diabetes Month, November is the time to read up on how you can encourage friends and family to eat healthily to avoid diabetes.
The 2016 theme is “This Is Diabetes.” The American Diabetes Association showcases real-life stories of friends and families managing day-to-day challenges of the disease. With 29 million (and growing) Americans suffering from diabetes, this organization aims to create a sense of urgency about this growing health crisis.
Here are some of the ways that you can prevent and manage diabetes:
- Drink plenty of water (not sugar-sweetened beverages)
- Lose excess body fat as being overweight is a significant risk factor for diabetes.
- Follow a plant-based, low-calorie diet. Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and plant-based proteins. Studies show that diet has a lot to do with diabetes.
- Chronic sleep deprivation increases the risk for diabetes and obesity. Be sure you’re getting the best 40 winks possible.
- Get plenty of exercise! Exercise renders cells more sensitive to insulin, so get moving more often.
Get involved this month!
Share your story, photo or video on social media using #ThisIsDiabetes.
Advocate – Become an advocate to help ensure that diabetes is brought to light.
Donate to help make the American Diabetes Association’s work possible.
Post – Use social media to raise awareness throughout your friends and family.
The professionals at Nahai Insurance Services hope that you take American Diabetes Month as the chance to create awareness and better your health habits for good! While you tend to your health, let us take care of your insurance needs. As experts in the industry, we’re well versed in safeguarding your finances and assets. Call us today to get started!